Saturday, September 18, 2010

GHC is just around the corner!

Well, I'm definitely getting psyched about this year's Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing (GHC). I've been twice in the past: 2006 (San Diego, CA) and 2008 (Keystone, CO). Both times I met interesting women working in computer science, and I'm looking forward to re-connecting this year and making new acquaintances! Each year I've become progressively more involved. In 2006 I attended, and in 2008 I presented research in the ACM Poster Competition and was a note-taker. This year I am an official GHC Community Blogger (yay!), I'm on a panel called "Building Bridges and Breaking Barriers: Panel on Diversity and Inclusion in CS Education," and I'm presenting some of my dissertation research in the PhD Forum! There is so much to do before heading down to Atlanta (mostly related to making presentations), so time is really flying. At least I was awarded a scholarship again this year, so my main expenses are covered. That is definitely a stress reducer!

Did you know there are a lot of resources out there about GHC? Not only is there a wiki with notes from each year's sessions, but there is also a Facebook page to keep in touch with other attendees. If you can't attend this year, you can always follow updates on the GHC Blog or community Blog Roll, and Twitter feeds. They are definitely building a great community online in addition to in person.

I only wrote 6 ghc blog posts in 2008 but I'm anticipating more this year. You can also follow my tweets at @umasshokie. Just over a week until Atlanta!

No comments: