Monday, August 03, 2009

Working at a cafe


I have to say that one of my favorite places to work is at a cafe in town. I'm actually there right now, so since I'm blogging it probably will not be too convincing to say that I get a lot of work done here; but I do! The music right now is awesome, with "Boys of Summer" just finishing. It's like having Pandora playing, but without the need for headphones! I think I'm partially lucky that they play music I really like, if that wasn't the case it would probably be really annoying.

However, I work best in a well lit area with either complete quiet, or constant expected noise. It's the intermittent noise (like people entering and leaving the room, coughing, etc) that distracts me the most. I suspect that is the case for a lot of people, hence the reason cubicles are so detested.

Of course, this all also means that I may just like working at the cafe because my desk is in a windowless room that resembles a well decorated dungeon. Sure, the posters and such make the room seem less dreary, but it doesn't really help with the lack of light. Even the new brighter ceiling lights don't seem so bright anymore, which makes me scare to think about how dark the room must have been my first few years before the light replacement.

Anyway, if you are looking for a good place to work outside of your own dreary office/cubicle/desk in the corner, consider your local cafe! The pot of tea makes everything better, not to mention you can actually get natural light! Just don't get too distracted with people watching, and you'll be OK...

No comments: