Monday, July 21, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!

I just celebrated by 25th birthday this weekend! Although we had planned an outdoor event, a short thunderstorm managed to soak everything enough to halt those plans. It was still fun though! We made some stuffed mushrooms; bought some fruit, hummus, chips, and salsa; and mixed up a few delicious sangrias!

cake in progress

I also made myself a chocolate cake, with raspberry filling between the layers. I cooked two layers but cut them in half to make four shorter ones.

finished cake, after the candles are taken out

The real frustration was icing the cake. It was so hot and humid all day, that the icing would just fall off! I ended up freezing both the cake and the icing (thank goodness our freezer was only half full) so that the icing would be thick enough to stay in place. This did, however, mean that I had to ice in batches, as the icing warmed up rather quickly. Usually no A/C is not a huge problem, but for decorating this cake it was a big issue!

me, cutting the first slice of cake

The cake turned out well enough though, I finished decorating it about 30 minutes before everyone was supposed to arrive. Everyone was impressed with the decorations (I just used a piping tip, and sprinkles for the blue inside flowers), and said it tasted delicious. I think the tartness of the raspberry really did give a nice contrast to the chocolate. yum!

3 comments:

Nina said...

Scott's birthday is today. But all I got him was a frozen cheesecake. Your cake is beautiful!

Unknown said...

and it was delicious!!!

M. O. said...

Thanks, it took forever to decorate!

Happy Birthday to Scott! I'm sure his cheesecake is just as good as my chocolate cake. :) mmmm....cheesecake....